|Gustave White Sotheby’s International Realty announced today the sale of their exclusive listing “Quatrel,” located at 673 Bellevue Avenue. One of the earliest storied “summer cottages” on Bellevue, “Quatrel” is located steps from “Bailey’s Beach” and Newport’s famed Ocean Drive.|
The sales price was $1,500,000 and included the six-bedroom main house with 9,500 square feet of living space and a detached 2-car garage with apartment.
Gustave White Sotheby’s International Realty represented both sides of the transaction. Paul Leys, partner in the firm said, “We are always delighted to broker part of Newport’s wonderful past while introducing new owners who will enhance Newport’s future. Having also participated in last month’s sale of “Clocktower” off of Bellevue Avenue, we are more than pleased to represent both parties in this most recent transaction. This sale is a strong indication that the high-end market is alive and well in coastal Rhode Island.”
“Quatrel,” formerly “Fairbourne,” was designed by Thomas Alexander Tefft and built in 1855. Tefft was an associate of Horatio Greenough and was influential in the establishment of Newport as a summer resort in the years prior to the Civil War. “Fairbourne” was designed in the Italian villa style, with a central three-story tower flanked by wings and a mansard roof. The house was later redesigned by Dudley Newton, with Ogden Codman interiors. Much of the original detail is intact, and the new owners plan to return it to its original splendor.
“Fairbourne” was built for Earl P. Mason, who was in the wholesale drug business and later the President of the Rhode Island National Bank. Later owners were Louis and Elaine Lorillard, who founded the Newport Jazz Festival.
Click Here for more property information.